Sunday, March 29, 2009

Time for a U Turn

Everyone has his/her own preferences about professional and personal life. And there needs to be a balance between the two. If the balance is broken, things can get really bad.

Working at the university, slowly and slowly I started feeling that my personal life is getting eaten up by my professional life.

I did not get time to prepare lectures in the college because of the paper-work (which had to be completed in college). I can not even think of going to class without the lecture prepared. That would be injustice to the students, to my job and to myself.

So, I prepared lectures after coming home. I studied till mid night and sometimes even late than that. This repeated 6 days a week.

The whole scenario made me think :
1. Where exactly am I heading?
2. Am i getting closer to my family or am I getting away from them?
3. Staying awake late night daily can affect health too.

Another thing that started demotivating me was salary cuts.
The organization had a policy that the new employees can not go on a leave within the first month of their joining.
I needed a leave, and I took it. This resulted in a salary cut. I did not feel happy about it at all. And there were many other scenarios that could lead to salary cuts. :-)

But still.. my main problem was still that I was not getting time for my family and myself. Even when I was with my family physically, something about the job used to go on in my mind. This made me frustrated. I started losing temper at home and would then feel sorry about it.

I gave the whole thing a thought and in the very first week, it started getting clear in my mind that I wont stay in this organization for long.

I again had options here
Either I could move to some other educational institution.. OR I could get back to the software industry. Getting into another educational institution would be a risky step. Whereas, I can get stable again in software quickly. So, I started thinking about getting into software once again.

My colleagues always helped me and tried to convince me to stay. I was very happy to see such helping colleagues. They would make every effort to get a new guy understand the processes and get adjusted at the place.

But still, I felt that the reason for which I entered teaching will be dumped somewhere and my personal life will be ruined if the things go on like this.

Then one day, one of my best friends called me up and during the conversation, he asked me "Khush hain na" (Are you happy). I usually dont lie... So I straightaway said "NO".
He was shocked and quickly got into the details. He works in FIS too. So he asked me If I would like to joing FIS again then he can talk to the management on my behalf. I gave it a thought and it took me just some seconds to decide. I said "YES".

He talked to the higher authorities. And to my surprise and good luck, they agreed happily.
I will always be tankful to my friend for this.

The university had a policy of two month notice period. I did not server it and resigned with immediate effect. I paid two month's salary as a compensation and got my certificates and the relieving letter.

The monetary loss did not affect me at all because I again gained a lot during my stay at the university.
1. I got so many new friends.
2. I got an overview of the education system.
3. I got to know how it feels and what are the circumstances when you stand in the class as a teacher.
4. And the biggest benefit... i realized that my decision of moving to teaching was not wrong. I enjoyed each and every moment of it.

But it does not mean at all that I will not be faithful to my software job now. I will put in my 100% efforts here too. And will plan something like guest lectures in educational institutions. So, I will have the best of both worlds.. :-)

No comments: