Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Fresh Starting in University

Having the appointment letter from the university with me, I drove towards the university campus. Upon reaching, I headed straight towards the HR department.

Its my day of joining here :-).

I reached a bit early and had to wait. I was filled with confidence that I am going to enjoy my job, because I love to teach. I was excited too.
The wait became a bit longer. Other persons who had the same date of joining started arriving too. I started interacting with them. Some of them had just passed out from the same university while some had experience of many years at different places. Some worked in BPOs earlier. I made almost 5 friends.

But the waiting period was not coming to an end. I started thinking about my interview at the university. When I got selected after all the rounds and also got the salary I demanded, it was the time to sign the acceptance letter and to hand over the academic certificates as security.
At that time, I dont know why, but I got a feeling that something wrong is going to happen. But I ignored the feeling thinking that it might be just a mind game as the mind may be showing its resistance to the change. I handed over the certificates, had a look at the acceptance letter. It was very long. As already many people had signed it and it was also getting very late in the evening, I signed without studying it thoroughly.

Sitting in the waiting hall, all this came in front of my eyes and that strange feeling that something is wrong made me a bit nervous. But I recollected myself and got over the feeling quickly.

Soon, an HR representative came and the formalities of joining started.
Upon completing the formalities (which took almost the whole day), I was alloted my department by the dean.

I came to know that I will not be going through any induction session as I joined late and the induction session got over some days back.

The teaching was to start from the next day.
I got my time table and started with the classes.

From the very first class, I got sure that my decision of switching to teaching was very correct.

My Views about Teaching
After interacting with the students on the first day, I felt that a teacher has a very responsible role. The job is not to teach academics only, but to transform the students into responsible citizens. The teachers need to make the students think on their own..
Before a student gets into a professional college, the role of a teacher is a bit different. At that time, the academics need to be taught very thoroughly. But once the students get into their graduation, they should be made capable to think on their own. So, the role of the teacher changes here. The teacher becomes a guide, a facilitator here. Teacher should try to generate the interest for the subject in the student's mind and should keep guiding them. The teacher should only show the path and guide but should let the students think and walk themselves.

The teacher should make the students curious to know more and more. And at the same time, should try that each and every student is moving ahead. Some students need personal attention, otherwise they lag behind.

Well... my views about teacing can go on and on.

But to summarize, I started enjoying teaching from the very first day.

My Teaching Style
My lectures included some humor and experiences of life in addition to academics. I personally feel that only academics all the time can make the session boring. A little deviation is good.

So, the starting seemed to be good. I was teaching, interacting and enjoying.
But, the "something wrong" factor (that came while joining) started appearing.

No comments: